Friday, October 12, 2012

Amelia Margaret Wade 10.07.12

 
These Last Few Hours....
by Dee Dee McColl
 
It is important to me that I spend a part of the next few hours here alone with you in the darkness.
 
You and I will never be this close again. By morning you will be a tiny person all your own. No longer the kicking, demanding bulge in my body that I have grown to love so well.
 
I pray God will safely guide you on your journey tonight, and I will ask Him for the strength to help you all I can.
 
Again, you signal your impatience to be free.
 
Time to wake your Daddy.
 
 
Amelia's Birth Story 10/7/12
 
2:05 a.m.: Contraction #1.
2:08 a.m.: Contraction #2.
2:11 a.m.: Contraction #3.
I start thinking this might be "it".
2:30 a.m.: Contractions continue. I wake Mike.
2:40 a.m.: I call this hospital to tell them I am on my way.
3:00 (ish) a.m.: We barrel out of the house with Owen (sans socks... it was 38 degrees) and Oskee.
3:15 a.m.: We arrive at Mike's folks, throw the Os at them and barrel back down the highway. I call my folks to tell them to come to the hospital. My contractions are 2 minutes apart and intense. I keep telling Mike to not get a ticket!
3:30 a.m.: We are at the hospital.
3:40 a.m.: I am in my room. Ah, the anxiety is relieved a bit....
but then the nurse tells me I'm 7-8cm dilated. Anxiety ramps back up. She asks if I want an epidural, I exclaim 'YES', and she runs out of the room.
4-something a.m. (ish): Epidural in. I'm transitioning. Baby is +2. Doctor is on her way.
4:45 a.m.: Doctor arrives, breaks my water. Let the pushing begin.
4:55 a.m.: Miss Millie arrives, sunny side up!
 
Initial impressions of this sweet daughter of mine: She's prompt and efficient. When she makes up her mind, she gets it done!
And now the onslaught of pictures from the first hour of her life.
 
 
The umbilical cord is soooo long.

Apgar Scores: 8 and 10. Way to go Amelia. Her hands and feet weren't even blue!

It's too bright.

Maybe I should have stayed inside.

When do I get some clothes?
 
13 inch head. She comes by her small noggin honestly.
 
20 inches
 
She came out of the womb rooting.
 
First bath
Ah, this is great. And what a handsome guy.

I love you, Daddy.

Hey, I recognize your voice.

Can I have something to eat?
 
Ready to Meet my Grandparents.

 And the life of Amelia Margaret Wade begins...... May God bless you abundantly, my precious one.

2 comments:

  1. She is so beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy fast labor! I know it may not have seemed so fast to you but you did great! Welcome, Amelia! I cannot wait to meet her! She is precious! Enjoy every minute of you newborn baby girl! XOXO

    ReplyDelete