Thursday, July 8, 2010

Holy Guacamole, we're at 16 weeks!

Three guesses at this week's fruit.... yep, it's an avocado. And I am super pumped to eat it now that it's served it's picture purpose. I had no appetite for avocados in the first trimester, and that was one of my clues that something was indeed changing. Normally, I could eat 1/2 an avocado in one sitting. But alas, here we are in the glorious 2nd trimester... the land of energy, baby 'bumps', and odd cravings....

I don't understand the cravings. I absolutely 'medicalize' every symptom that I am having. I'm nauseated because my blood sugar is low, etc etc. I don't understand cravings at all. You would think the body would desire something that it needs. Not in my case. The first trimester I couldn't get enough salt. Pickles were a must have, and there were several nights (when Mike wasn't home) that I simply ate massive amounts of chips and salsa for dinner. Now I've turned the corner to the sweet side. Starbursts, gummy bears, licorice. What gives? My body certainly doesn't need over processed, artificially flavored and colored candy. I feel like I am doing my body a service because I haven't yet purchased those peach flavored rings (can't remember the name).. but I am one step away from them. If any one has a rational explanation, I would love to hear it!

So here we are at 16 weeks. I think there's a slight bump. One of my faculty told me I looked pregnant today, and I just beamed. I'm starting to get really excited about this whole thing!

At 16 weeks, baby is 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His/Her legs are more developed, the head is straighter, his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head, and his ears are close to their final position, too. Baby has toenails, lanugo (fine baby hair), and it's heart is pumping 25 quarts a day. Way to go Baby Wade! I am a proud mama!

If any of you readers are in the mood for a super sweet tear jerker, I invite you to check out Chelsea's letter to Siena on her 2nd birthday at www.salinasbaby.blogspot.com. It's beautiful! Happy birthday Sweet Siena.

Happy beginning of summer to Seattle as well. We broke 75 this week and even got into the 90s!! We miss and love you all.

Heather, Mike, and the little Tyke

1 comment:

  1. Yay...16 weeks! I love it. Those old wives say pickles means a boy!! ;) Also, in almost every baby book I read, avacados and mangos topped the list of good foods for mom and baby, so keep eating those! As for the peach rings, maybe your body is trying to bulk up, or it could just be that little Wade has a sweet tooth!! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete